Hablamos helps you with all the necessary formalities

Visas for courses of more than 12 weeks

At Hablamos we offer intensive Spanish hours of 20 lessons per week for as many weeks as you wish. If you plan to study for more than 12 weeks, you will need a visa to study in Spain if you come from a country outside the European Union.

Our intensive Spanish courses of 20 hours per week (plus 3 hours of cultural and social activities every Friday), allow you to obtain a student visa.

To find out the procedure to follow, we advise you to read the following sections, but what is stated here is clearly indicative, and should not be taken as a rule, as the laws and procedures for foreigners change frequently, and also change if the visa is requested in one country or in another.

Step 1


The first and essential thing is to contact the Spanish embassy or consulate in your country. They will tell you which documents are necessary for you to apply for your student visa and whether your Spanish studies are valid for you to be granted it. Not all countries require the same documents. They are often similar, but not the same. For this reason, this information is the key to start the process.

Step 2


Once you have confirmed the documents required by the Spanish embassy or consulate in your country, and you have checked that you meet the requirements, you must tell us on which dates you want to start your course, to find out if there are places available and how long you want your course to last, how many weeks or months. Knowing the dates of your course, we can tell you if there is availability for your level on the dates you have chosen. Once this is confirmed, we will send you a quote for the total cost of your course, so that you know the total cost of your course at Hablamos.

Step 3


The processing of a visa takes time. For this reason, you must apply for it in the 90 days prior to the start of the course, but you should ask the Spanish embassy in your country about the period in which these visas are normally granted to be sure that, if you apply for it in the 90 days prior to the start of the course, the visa will be ready before you come to our country.

You can come to Spain as a student (if you are not a European citizen) with these visas:

  • OPTION ONE: TOURIST VISA: you can come with a tourist visa if your stay is a maximum of 3 months or 90 days maximum. In that time you can come and do a Spanish course as long as it does not exceed 90 days. In this case you would not apply for a student visa, but for a tourist visa. Consult the Spanish embassy in your country for the requirements to come as a tourist.
  • OPTION TWO: VISA AS A STUDENT: if your stay is longer than 3 months or 90 days, then you must apply for a student visa. The Spanish embassy or consulate in your country will tell you what documents are required to obtain it. The student visa lasts for the duration of your studies. If you want to come to Spain for 6 months to study Spanish, your visa will last six months; if you want to come for a year, it will last one year. Once you are in Spain, and you have your visa, for example, for one year, you can request the extension or renewal of your student visa for another year, provided that you are enrolled again in a course or studies that allow this renewal. You can renew your visa from Spain.

Can I come to Spain as a tourist and then apply for a student visa or student card? Yes, this is possible, as long as you apply for a student visa in Spain within 60 days before your tourist visa expires.

If for whatever reason you are not granted this student visa, you will have to leave Spain when your tourist visa expires.

Step 4


Once you have been informed of the requirements to obtain a student visa, and once you have confirmed with Hablamos the start and end dates of your course, and we have confirmed that you have a place to study Spanish with us, you can start the visa application process.

Logically, the process is done at the Spanish embassy or consulate in your country, and they are the ones who will tell you what documents you need to obtain it.

To give you an idea of the type of documents they usually ask for, here is a list of the most common ones (but not all embassies ask for the same, so take this list as a simple reference):

  • Valid passport valid for more than the length of your course.
  • 4 recent photographs.
  • Completed visa application form.
  • Letter of Acceptance that you are enrolled in a Spanish language school, in a course of at least 20 hours per week (this is provided by us).
  • Travel insurance with certain minimum coverage.
  • Proof of having booked accommodation in Spain.
  • Proof of sufficient financial means to be able to reside in Spain for the duration of the course.
  • Criminal record and medical certificate for long-term stays.

Check with the Spanish embassy or consulate in your country to find out if these or any other documents are required for you to be granted your student visa and prepare all of them.

Step 5


One of the requirements for obtaining a student visa is the so-called “Letter of Acceptance”. This letter or document states that you have been accepted in our Spanish language school Hablamos, and that you have therefore been enrolled in the Intensive Spanish course of 20 hours per week, on the dates and duration chosen by you. It is therefore an important document, and key to your visa. With this document you reserve your place at Hablamos firmly.

  • In order for us to send you this letter of acceptance, together with the contract of enrolment in Hablamos and the invoice for your payment, it is necessary that you pay 40% of the cost of your course in advance by bank transfer to our account. This payment can only be made by bank transfer. The rest of the course fee must be paid in Spain on the first day of your course. If this payment is not made on the first day of your course, Hablamos will inform the embassy and request the cancellation of your student visa.
  • The payment of 40% of the cost of the course will allow the embassy to see that your commitment is firm, and with this payment your place is reserved for the duration of your course.
  • How do I pay this 40% of the total cost of the course? This payment should be sent by bank transfer to the following Hablamos account:
    • ACCOUNT NUMBER: ES7001280021020100100952
  • Once we have received your payment, we will send you the letter of acceptance, the enrolment contract for our course, and proof of the amount already paid. This letter will be sent to you by email. If it is necessary to send it by courier, it is the student who must pay these costs.

Step 6


Once you have received the letter of acceptance and the rest of the documents from Hablamos, you must present them together with the rest of the documents required to obtain the visa. From that moment on, all you have to do is wait for the visa to be granted. If it is favourable, pack your bags and we are waiting for you at Hablamos to practice your Spanish!

What happens if my visa is refused?

At Hablamos we strive to help all our students to make their stay with us as positive as possible. We also do our best to help them in all matters relating to obtaining a visa, but the decision to grant a visa depends exclusively on the Embassy and Consulate and it is they who make the final decision. The student is responsible at all times for the visa application process, and therefore Hablamos is not responsible in cases of visa refusal, as the granting of a visa does not depend on the school.

In the event that the visa is denied, and the student has paid 40% of the course fee in advance, Hablamos will refund the total amount paid by transfer to the student’s account, minus 150 euros for administrative costs incurred in processing the application. If the student later obtains the visa by enrolling in a Hablamos course, this amount will be deducted from the course fee.

If the student cannot attend the course due to a visa refusal, he/she will have to send to Hablamos the official document of refusal (with date, signature and stamp) issued by the Spanish embassy or consulate, clearly stating the name of the student, his/her passport number and the visa requested.

For the refund of the advance payment, the cancellation must be communicated to Hablamos in writing (together with the refusal document) at least 20 days before the start date of the course. If the cancellation is received less than 20 days before the course start date, no refund will be given. If the cancellation is due to a delay in the delivery of the visa to the student by the Spanish embassy in the country where the application was made, Hablamos will refund 40 percent of the course fee paid in advance, minus a 150 euro processing fee.

Do you have any questions about this process? No problem, contact us and we will help you with everything you need to know.

Travel medical insurance

It is compulsory to obtain travel health insurance for the entire time the student is resident in Spain. You can ask for a quote in your country, but here you can find two links to two companies with international coverage and operating in Spain:
Europ Assistance

This is  Hablamos 

This is  Hablamos 

C'est  Hablamos